About the SailFuture Academy
The SailFuture Academy is a purposefully disruptive, private nonprofit high school in St. Petersburg, Florida. Our mission is to empower at-risk students to achieve economic freedom and social mobility through character development and pragmatic, project-based learning.
The school model leverages integrated coursework in business, technology, science, math, language arts with practical application labs in construction, maritime, and culinary settings.
Students focus on foundational academic and character development curriculum in 9th and 10th grade and participate in an in-house internship in 11th grade and an external apprenticeship in their 12th grade year.
In our search for an Academic Dean, SailFuture is seeking a creative, passionate, and experienced leader who shares our vision for project-based education that equips a young person with an entrepreneurial mindset and the core skills needed to enter the ‘real world.’
The Academic Dean will report to SailFuture Academy's Head of School and is responsible for developing tailored and innovative project-based lesson plans in Science, Math, Technology, Business, and ELA.
This is a year round, on-campus position and typical working hours are 730am - 5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Lead the design and development of project-based learning curriculum and lesson plans in all subject areas
- Lead teacher training and onboarding
- Serve on the school Leadership Team
- Develop the framework and criteria for competency-based high school graduation
- Assist with DOE, SUFS, and accreditation compliance efforts
- Assist with recruiting community partners and volunteers
- Assist with building and steering a positive school culture rooted in our core principles
The ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate is aligned with our core values and is eager to begin, and capable of sustaining, the work needed to build a legacy project. The Ideal candidate will:
- Possesses a ‘whatever it takes’ mentality
- Possesses the GRIT and passion to commit to a long-term legacy project that is bigger than themselves
- Demonstrated portfolio of work in project based learning
- Successful track record working with at-risk youth
- Has experience leading and managing teams
- Passionate about reimagining education
- Committed to work-based education
- Inspired by the SailFuture Mission
- Collaborative in their approach
- Flexible and able to thrive in a start-up environment
- Entrepreneurial in their thinking and a creative problem solver
- Lead by example and be excited to work in the trenches
- Competitive base salary
- $250 per month employee health contribution
- 401k with 6% match
- 15 days PTO (accrual)