Are you frustrated with an antiquated education system that does not prepare young people for the real world? Are you confident in your ability to design experiences that deeply engage students in their learning?
Do your colleagues describe you as a natural problem solver who loves learning and coming up with new ideas? Do you often find yourself in a mentor or teaching role and helping those around you get better at their craft?
If this sounds like you, you may have just found your next work family.
We are searching for a project leader to help reinvent education at the SailFuture Academy. You will create 6-8 week long projects that immerse students in their learning while integrating math, science, reading, writing, and business concepts into the project design.
At the SailFuture Academy, you will find the space, resources, and support to build cross-curricular projects that engage and inspire students to self actualize.
- Design and develop course materials, including syllabi, lesson plans, learning objectives, assignments, and other materials
- Facilitate and lead projects with students
- Help ensure a safe learning environment, both physically and intellectually
- Ensure students uphold community standards
- Create a space for students to fail forward in order to improve their mastery of target objectives
- Establish meaningful relationships and build trust with students and families to assist in improving their behavior, educational performance, and social relationships
- Serve as the primary parent contact and campus advisory leader for 8-10 students in your assigned ‘crew’, including weekly narrative feedback, and personalized narrative evaluations at the end of each academic term
- Develop student and family engagement activities during interim break weeks to build rapport and lasting relationships
Knowledge and Attributes You Bring to the Team:
- Alignment with our core values and is eager to begin, and capable of sustaining the work needed to build a legacy project
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Demonstrated track-record of instructional design
- Experience in teaching, training, or education
- Posses a ‘whatever it takes’ mentality
- Possess the GRIT and passion to commit to a long-term legacy project that is bigger than yourself
- Entrepreneurial in your thinking and you are a creative problem solver
- You lead by example and are excited to work in the trenches
- Passionate about reimagining education
- Collaborative in your approach
- Flexible and able to thrive in a start-up environment
Standout Applicants May Also Bring:
- Demonstrated portfolio of work in project based learning, work-based learning, or non-traditional educational settings
- Understanding of how trauma affects behavior
- Successful track record working with at-risk youth
- Has experience leading and managing teams
- Performance bonus
- $250 per month employee health contribution
- 401k with 6% match
About the SailFuture Academy
The SailFuture Academy is a purposefully disruptive, private nonprofit high school in St. Petersburg, Florida. Our mission is to empower at-risk students to achieve economic freedom and social mobility through character development and pragmatic, project-based learning.
The school model leverages integrated coursework in business, technology, science, math, language arts with practical application labs in construction, maritime, and culinary settings.
Students focus on foundational academic and character development curriculum in 9th and 10th grade and participate in an in-house internship in 11th grade and an external apprenticeship in their 12th grade year.