We usually respond within a day
Who we are:
SailFuture operates a wraparound continuum of services for 14-22 year old youth in foster care in St. Petersburg, Florida. We take pride in our reputation as an innovative organization that brings thoughtful and effective solutions to a strained and broken foster care system.
Our continuum of services includes placement, case management, residential care, challenging sailing experiences, a private school, job training, and behavioral health services.
Who we’re looking for:
SailFuture’s Captain will be responsible for vessel operations during service-learning programs, as well as all ship operations, training, safety, vessel maintenance, and management throughout the year.
The captain will work with social workers, counselors, and house parents to deliver innovative sailing experiences to at-risk youth and families.
The goal of our sailing-based interventions is to catalyze therapeutic progress, develop meaningful relationships between adults and kids, teach leadership and communication, and deliver life skills training in a hands-on way.
The Captain will provide instruction and leadership on the following types of vessels:
- 105’ Feadship Motor Yacht
- 65’ MacGregor racing sloop
- 33’ Hunter sloop
- Collegiate 420 racing dinghies
- 15’ Boston Whaler
- Lead maritime instruction and training for all youth and staff
- Build strong bonds with each youth through 1:1 and group time
- Build a strong sense of teamwork amongst youth and staff on the boat
- Hold all youth and staff to the highest levels of seamanship
- Lead maintenance and renovation projects across all vessels in the SailFuture fleet
- Lead vocational and service-learning projects with students
- USCG 6-pack Captain's License
- First Aid / CPR
- Strong understanding of, and ability to repair, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- 5+ years sailing experience
- An ability to relate to the life experiences of the youth SailFuture serves
- A passion for mentoring and coaching
- At least 2 years experience working with at-risk or troubled youth
- Valid driver’s license
- Health insurance
- 401k with 6% match
- 15 days PTO
- Work cell phone
- Work laptop
- Complimentary housing in SailFuture Group Home (if desired)
- Maritime Training
- St Petersburg
401k with 3-6% employer match
Paid Time Off
$250 Monthly Health Insurance Contribution
Access to sailboats, powerboats, and kayaks
Opportunity to travel on international sailing expeditions
Who We Are
We're a small but mighty agency with a 'whatever it takes' mentality.
Our approach to social work is complex and requires dynamic, passionate leaders to bring all their skills to the table.
We're committed to each other as much as we are to our kids, and protect the family dynamic within our motley crew.
Based in St. Petersburg, FL, SailFuture serves 200 children and families a year through innovative programs ranging from international sailing expeditions to an entrepreneurship high school.
Loading application form