Residential Change Agent
SailFuture’s Change Agents provide love, support, and accountability to six youth living in a large family foster home.
Three Change Agents and a Program Director co-parent six youth with the support of a licensed USCG Captain, Foster Care Case Manager, Certified Teacher, and a mental health counselor. Alongside a Captain, Change Agents lead our 6 kiddos on two 50-day sailing expeditions per year, one through the Caribbean and one up the Eastern U.S. to Maine (no prior sailing experience required).
While at home, we reside in a 5,000 sqft home with comfortable quarters. You can expect the typical 'parenting' responsibilities: waking the boys up for school, helping them prepare breakfast, and getting them from Point A to Point B Our kids attend the SailFuture Academy, a private vocational high school that is integrated into our residential model. Our kids also receive therapy and counseling from a dedicated counselor who provides additional supports and guidance to the home as a whole.
In this position, you will manage chaotic and stressful situations, like breaking up fights or de-escalating a child who in that moment wants to harm themselves. You'll also dance in the kitchen and have cake fights on 18th birthdays.
You'll become their support system and have the opportunity to become one of the only people that has stayed long enough to earn their trust. You'll have the opportunity to fundamentally alter their life trajectory.
- Lead youth through (2) 50-day international sailing journeys through the Caribbean and Eastern United States per year
- Work with mental health, education, and case management teams to ensure consistency across youth’s individual treatment and case plans
- Assist with with job searches and applications
- Teach basic life skills: laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.
- Home management: maintenance, landscaping, etc.
- Grocery shopping
- Daily room checks for cleanliness
- Nightly bed checks
- Administer and log medication
- Schedule medical and dental appointments
- Assist with general transportation needs
- Assist with school operations and academic instruction
- Assist with job training operations and vocational instruction
- Work with the mental health, education, and residential teams to create individual treatment plans for all youth
- Implement treatment plans and coordinate with all other teams
- Other responsibilities as determined by the Program Director
- Team player committed to doing whatever it takes for youth in their care
- Experience working with at-risk youth, specifically teenagers
- Excellent communicator and problem solver
- Passion for adventure
- Sailing experience is a plus, but not required
-This is a Live-in position, you will be expected to live on-site on your working days
Total Compensation: $41,400 per year
- $30,000 per year
- $1,400 Max 401k Contribution per year
- On-Site Housing and Meals (Est. Value - $10,000 per year)
- 10 Days PTO
- Access to sailboats and kayaks during time off
Our Commitment to You:
This will be one of the hardest “jobs” you ever have. Our kids and your colleagues will push and inspire you to grow personally and professionally in ways that few other settings can.
We’re a small organization and treat each other more like family than colleagues. We live together, travel together, work together, and play together.
If you are invited to join our team, we are making a commitment to help you become the best social innovator that you can be. We are committed to supporting you in the present to provide our kids the highest quality of care possible, and in the future by equipping you with the skills, resources, and connections to prepare you for where you go next.
Change Agents leave this role with invaluable management, leadership, and conflict mediation skills.
As an entrepreneurial social venture, you will have the opportunity to take ownership in your work and your outcomes. You have the opportunity to learn and practice many of the skills necessary to succeed as an entrepreneur.
You will learn to manage and navigate extremely stressful situations with grace and clarity. Our alumni often say that few things can rattle them professionally after they have made it through SailFuture.